Every day new websites are being created. Each idea is transformed into income. Today we’ll talk about cheap web hosting in Kenya.
Everyone needs another source of income. Money is a scarce resource that one requires every time to startup or expand.
Websites offer one an opportunity to reach many people all over the world. They also allow one to transact safely.
They have created a flexible working environment. Today’s technology allows one to work from anywhere, sell without a physical store, and many others.
As a startup, it’s challenging to grow especially in a competitive market. Thus one considers affordable plans and then upgrades later.
So what’s web hosting?
It is a service that allows one to run and store their website files. This simply means that all your web files are visible online.
It also means that anyone from any place can view your website. It’s the home for your website. Web hosting is a service that ensures that all your website files are stored safely on a server.
This means that your website is live and can be accessed via the world wide web. Web hosting comes into three main categories:
1. Shared Hosting
It’s sharing of the same server and resources with other websites; it’s easy to set up and cheap. It’s the most common type of web hosting which includes everything that a website needs to run on one server.
It’s an affordable plan that can be used by all. Besides, it doesn’t require any technical knowledge to set it up.
- Affordable- it costs you a few less than the other plans.
- Easy to set up- no need to learn technicals and configurations before setting up.
- Performance issues- your website may experience surges when other sites get more traffic.
- File access risks- incorrectly misconfigured files can allow access to many other users.
2. Dedicated Hosting
It means you get the whole server to yourself; no sharing. It is expensive and reliable. It’s different from Shared, as it is only dedicated to one website or multiple websites within a single account.
No more resource sharing. Get the whole server to yourself and implement the best security measures by yourself.
However, this one requires one to have technical knowledge since you will be responsible for configuring and maintaining it.
- Reliable- get unlimited access to resources and make your services always available.
- Secure- get to configure your own security implementations.
- Flexibility- get to configure the server to your own liking.
- More resources- no more sharing of your resources.
- Expensive- setting up and maintaining the server is costly.
3. VPS Hosting
You get your own storage but on the same server as others. However, there is no sharing of resources. VPS hosting stands for Virtual Private Server hosting.
Basically, this kind of hosting lets you rent either a portion of the physical server or the entire dedicated server and get your own resources.
It also comes with administrative privileges which means that you can manage users, resources and also implement the best security features.
- Scalability- upgrade and downgrade easily.
- Control- manage your server and resources the best way you want.
- Flexibility- it’s easy to customize it to the best way you want.
- A bit expensive- their plans may not be the best for you when starting up.
Of course, there are other web hosting types like:
- Cloud Hosting
- Reseller Hosting
- Colocation web hosting
- Managed hosting
- And others.
Before choosing a plan one should have enough information on what they need and also what the hosting company provides.
Where to get hosting?
There are many companies over the web that provide hosting services. Here are the best:
Truehost is the best hosting company that has been giving opportunities to all people whether startups or individuals. They have the best offers on hosting. Besides you can start free.
It’s a reliable Web Hosting in Kenya for all; optimized for secure and fast SSD web hosting at affordable prices.
- Affordable- you can start for free and upgrade later.
- Reliable- their services are 99.99% uptime.
- Support- offer 24/7 support to help everyone make it online.
- Ease of use- getting any plan is easy and has no hustle.
- Time saver- once you purchase a service you get it quickly.
- The free plan is only a month.
It’s a hosting company that allows users to host their sites with their custom-made solutions to make your website faster, safer, and better supported.
- Have many plans- choose from a variety of plans.
- Reliable- have good support that helps all.
- Ease of use- their website is responsive and can be easily used.
- Expensive plans- some plans are expensive as compared to other web hosts.
It’s another web hosting company that is one of the 20 largest web hosts, collectively hosting well over 2 million domains.
- Affordable start-up plans.
- Reliable- their uptime is great.
- Slow speed on websites.
- Poor backup options.
The above are just a few affordable web hosting companies in Kenya. There also other companies in Kenya that offer web hosting like:
- Webhost Kenya
- Safaricom Limited
- Sasahost Limited
- Bitsimba Telecommunications Ltd
- And more.
What is a domain?
A domain is a name that clients enter on a search bar to reach your website. It’s that name we use instead of I.P addresses.
It’s a unique name that identifies your website. Simply an address where Internet users can access your website. Here is how to make your domain name unique; Read more:
How are Domain Names and Web Hosting Related?
Of course, they are two different services, however, they work together to make sure the website runs smoothly.
A domain name system is constantly updated and behind it is an address that links to a web host that stores the website files.
Without a domain it’s hard for people to reach your site; also without hosting your website can’t run online.
This is a great combo that many web hosting companies have; provide hosting and domain services.
Do I need a Domain Name or Web Hosting for a website?
Well, you need both; a domain makes it easier for people to access your site and hosting allows your website to be accessible online.
Once you get hosting the next step is updating the DNS records; that allows the connection to your site easier. If you are starting up, you can get all these services at the best price at Truehost:
- Create a FREE website
- Get Free Hosting
- Buy a domain for as low as Ksh. 100.
Can one move their website to another hosting company without changing their domain?
Yes, it’s also an easy process. Besides, you own the domain, and once you change hosting you just have to update the DNS settings.
Truehost helps their clients move their websites to Truehost. Buying from the same company is the best option; manage all your services in one dashboard.
Also one can choose to transfer their domains from one company to another. One should be keen not to lose their renewal fee if they initiate transfers 45 days after the registration or renewal.
Startups need cheap web hosting to make it online. Before establishing and growing into the best market one should even consider starting for free.